Sunday, April 10, 2011

Mask

Diablico Sucio Mask:
La Chorrera Panama like most Caribbean art comes from both African and Roman Catholic traditions. The elements of art that I see in this mask are: Line, Shape, Color, and Mass. There are lines all over this mask while some create shapes, some are there are boundaries dividing colors. Mass is presented by the 3Dimenionationl aspects meaning the horns, eyes, ears, eyebrows, and the mouth.  The use of color is amazing, I really like the way the shades change in area. There are also a variety of different shapes presented all over this mask. I picked this one because I really liked the way this one looked with all the colors. The principles of art that are present are: Unity and Variety because all the colors flow together but there they are different. I did see Emphasis as well because The area that I could not take my eye off of was the eyes and mouth.


Venetian Bird Mask-Venice Italy:
This is a carnival mask created in Italy, and the elements of art that I see are: Line, Shape, Color, Mass, and Texture The lines flow into each other creating shapes. Some shapes are clearly noticeable while others are only partially finished leaving the mind to finish the outline of the shape. The glitter and jewels give the mask texture. Mass is present with the 3Dimenional features present in the mask. I picked this one because of the visual texture that is present with the glitter and jewels. The principles of art that i see are Variety and Unity because while the colors are mild they provide just enough to be visually eye pleasing to allow the eyes to notices the differences. Balance because everything just seems to be in just the right spot where one part does not have more emphasis than another.
 


Paper Fish Mask- Mexico City, DF:
This mask is also called a fantasy mask but it could not be worn it was just created for visual art. The elements that I see in this mask are: Line, Shape, and Mass, Texture, and Color. The lines create direction and movement. Mass is present throughout the mass with the 3Dimeniontional features, while the colors are bright and vibrant. Shapes are present and while some are clearly seen others are left for the mind to create. I picked this one because the colors caught my eye I couldn’t stop looking at it because the colors are so vibrant. The principles of art that are present are: Proportion because because to me everything is just the right size of each other. Emphasis I believe is placed on the mouth because that is the one area that could not stop looking at. Variety because there are many different things going on from the colors to the shapes. 



My Mask i decided to make a real 3D mask because i thought it would be a lot of fun but I didn't realize how much work i would be putting into the mask. The materials I used were clay, paper mache, and paint. I first used my sons face and placed clay on it to mold an outline. Then because it started to crack I went over it with paper mache. Then I painted it with a pink and didn't like it so I went over it with white. Which was much better I then used Q-Tips and used different colors to make the dots. The only real elements of art that are present in my mask are: Color, Shape, and mass. Like i said before I used a variety of colors to create the circles all over the mask. Mass is present in the 3D features that are present in the mask. The principles of art that are present are Unity and Variety because the colors flow together while at the same time give the mask a variety of colors. Proportion is present because everything is in size relationship to each other. I am very happy with how the mask turned out given this was my first time ever making something like this and with everything I did learn what works and what doesn't work for next time. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment